I got the idea of steaming this fish from my daughter. She tasted this dish recently and gave the thumbs up. She suggested that I try to replicate this and gave me a rough idea of the ingredients. I just concocted the sauce with whatever ingredients I had on hand and came up with this. True to what she said, this fish was delicious, a wee bit sweet, tangy but just refreshing! Thanks, dear!
Recipe for Steamed Fish in Garlic Lime Sauce
- 400 gm Siakap fish or Tilapia
- 2 chilli padi/bird eye chillies, chopped
- 1 stalk lemon grass, only the white part, chopped finely
- 12 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.1/2 Tbsp pomfret fish sauce (nampla)
- 3 Tbsp calamansi juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- Seasalt to rub onto the fish, inside out
- Sesame oil to drizzle
- Clean and make 2 diagonal cuts on the fish. Rub in some seasalt, inside out. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, fine tune to taste.
- Place 2 tsp of the sauce on the plate, place the fish on top of it, and put 1.1/2 tsp of sauce inside the fish belly.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top of the fish.
- Steam on rapidly boiling water for 8 to 10 mins. depending on the size of the fish.
- Test and see if the meat by the bone is white - the fish is done.
- Drizzle on some sesame oil and garnish with Chinese parsley.
- Serve immediately.