Malaysians are spoilt for choice where pre-packed cooking sauces and spice mix are concerned. Without doubt, these are most welcome by busy housewives and working people on the go as they don't have much time to prepare authentic dishes from scratch. There's a wide variety of these sauces which you can experiment with and tweak to your liking. Brahim's, Adabi, Singlong, Claypot, Maggi, Seri Murni, A1, just to name a few. Other than rice, premix sauces also go well with bread, pita bread and roti pratha. Then there's Maggi and Seriaji seasonings for stir-fry vegetables, rice, vermicelli or noodles and Claypot mix for chicken herbal soups as well.
I was ogling at the shelf in the supermarket one day, contemplating and this Seri Murni - 'Kari Kapitan' caught my eye. I picked up a packet, read the ingredients and instructions, checked the expiry date and came home with it.
Yes, I cooked this curry to go with my Naan bread with simple add-ons like shallots, garlic, lemon grass and substituted coconut milk with soymilk and the finished product .......... tasty and yummy!
Seri Murni ~ Kari Kapitan premix curry paste. Mix up the paste, add in the pounded shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and crushed lemon grass. Add in some water and once the chicken and potatoes are cooked, add in the soymilk.
Simply toss in some add-ons and you'll have a very delicious and aromatic Curry Kapitan. Where's my Naan bread .................... 'akan datang' ~ Coming!
- 120 gm Seri Murni Curry Kapitan paste
- 400 gm free range chicken, cut in bite size
- 2 lemon grass, crushed
- 5 shallots pounded
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 inch square, belacan ~ shrimp paste
- 1 cup coconut/soymilk ( I used soymilk)
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Wash the chicken pieces, pat dry and season with some salt, set aside.
- Saute the curry paste with the seasoned chicken pieces, under medium heat.
- Toss in the potatoes.
- Add in 1 cup water and bring the curry to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer till chicken and potatoes are soft and chicken cooked through.
- Add in 1 cup soymilk, mix well, add salt to taste and simmer to the desired consistency.
- Dish out and serve hot.
Do find out 'more' from this site!