I have never tried baking cakes with raw pumpkin and was glad when Amy Beh shared a recipe for Pumpkin Carrot Cake. The moist cake tasted good, the sweet pumpkin blended well with the slightly sourish cranberries. I have reduced the sugar somewhat and tweaked the method too. I'll be baking this again for the Chinese New Year.
This cake was an instant hit with my family ....... Try it!
Recipe for Pumpkin Carrot Cake
- 190 gm self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120 gm caster sugar (orig. 170 gm)
- 100 gm butter
- 50 gm canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 30 gm ground almonds
- 120 gm shredded pumpkin
- 30 gm shredded carrot
- 60 gm dried cranberries - cut and coated with some flour from above
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift the self-raising flour with baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light, thick and creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Add in oil and vanilla.
- Add in the sifted flour mixture.
- Add in shredded pumpkin, carrots, ground almonds and finally the cut and flour coated cranberries. Mix thoroughly, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Transfer batter into a lightly greased and floured 8 inch square tin.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for about 45 - 50 mins. Test with skewer till it comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for about 10 mins.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Amy Beh with slight modification.