Date and Walnut Slice ..... a health biscuit, simple and easy to make, suitable for a quick bite at breakfast or serve with tea or coffee.
chunky nuts and sweet dates ...... not to worry about the sugar content, dates are good for health and I've reduced the amount of sugar
the batter in the 8 inch sq. cake tin or you can use a slab tin, before baking
relax and enjoy with a good cup of black, hot coffee ........... mmmmm
they do keep well in a cookie jar ...... I had the last piece after keeping it for a week (experimenting) and it tasted good! Will definitely make it again for the coming Chinese New Year and this can be considered as a Christmas cookie too.
Recipe for Date and Walnut Slice
- 4 oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 4 oz dates, chopped
- 2 oz walnuts, chopped (or other kind of nuts of your choice)
- 2 oz canola oil
- 2 oz brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine the sifted flour, chopped dates, wlanuts and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, add in the lightly beaten egg and canola oil. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 8 inch sq. tin. Press lightly.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 30 mins. Test with skewer till it comes out clean.
- Cut into slices or squares while still hot. Cool in tin.
- Store in a cookie jar when they are completely cooled.